St Edmund Abbess Roding
St Edmund’s Church Abbess Roding is one of four Churches in the South Rodings Parish in the Deanery of Dunmow & Stansted and in the Diocese of Chelmsford. The South Rodings Parish was formed in 2004 when the Parishes of St Edmund Abbess Roding, St Botolph Beauchamp Roding, St Michael & All Angels Leaden Roding and St Martin White Roding united to form one Parish. Prior to this Abbess and Beauchamp Roding Churches had been linked together since 1927.
The Church is located in the north of the village and is situated in a small church yard, which is grassed and contains a number of trees. The church building is listed Grade II*.
It consists of a nave, chancel, north vestry, south porch and tower. The nave dates back to the fourteenth century and may have possibly been the rebuilding of an earlier nave, as there are indications that the Church is of twelfth century origin.
Despite having one of the largest nonconformist congregations in Essex in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries St Edmund’s Church is now the only place of Worship in Abbess Roding. Two services are held in the Church during an average month. On the third Sunday of the month there is a service of Holy Communion at 9.30am and on the fourth Sunday there is All Age Worship at 11am followed by refreshments.
The Church plays a key role in the life of the village.The Local Church Committee organizes regular events to raise money for Church funds. Each Christmas for over forty years the Church has organized Carol singing around Abbess & Beauchamp Roding to raise money for the Children’s Society.
Click here for St Edmund's website