History of the Ashdon Windmill
|1757||Mill erected by William Haylock, carpenter of Ashdon.
||A sale notice was published for a piece of land, Incroft, off Greensfoot Lane (Mill Lane), Ashdon.
||A further sale notice which included a bolter, brewery and bakehouse.
||Josiah Giblin had possession of the Mill. Insured by Stephen Adams for £210 p.a. Mill extended at the rear to accommodate a second pair of stones.
||Mill advertised for sale with two pairs of stones and granaries taking 130 quarters.
||Mill extended to take a second pair of stones (French stones).|
||Josiah Giblin declared bankrupt.|
||John Ruse was occupier but the Mill was owned by John Brown.
||John Brown shown as owner and occupier of the Mill and yard.
||Frederick and John Ruse recorded as Millers at Ashdon.
||The Mill appears to have been owned and operated by John Bragg of the Tower Mill (on Radwinter Road).
||The Mill ceased to work commercially but held by William Bragg.
||Mill Cottages rented for £10 per annum as part of Ridgewells Farm.
||Efforts made to preserve the Mill and timber props put in for support of the broken left side girt of the Mill cabin.
||Extensive repairs carried out.
||Further repairs carried out to the Mill by Thurlow Estate including a new set of sails (non operational).
||Sails removed as now in dangerous condition.
|21 Dec, 2000
||Mill gifted to Ashdon village by Thurlow Estate and registered in the name of Ashdon Windmill Trust Limited.