Ashingdon Parish


DESCRIPTION

Ashingdon Parish is a pleasant, pretty and quiet rural parish. Our Parish includes the villages of Ashingdon and South Fambridge. Ashingdon is approximately 2 miles North of Rochford and South Fambridge is approximately 4 miles from Rochford. Our Parish continues to the middle of the tidal River Crouch. We have a population of over 1000 and a wide variety of types of housing in country lanes, in the two villages, in housing estates both old and new.

Not much has happened in Ashingdon and South Fambridge since the Battle in 1016 except agriculture, horse riding and people enjoying their lives here. We have very low levels of disturbance, little vandalism and very low crime levels, like most of Rochford Distric and Essex County. This all enhances the quality of life for all who live, work, study and pass through our Parish.

The boundaries of the Parish of Ashingdon are shaped like the crowned head of King Canute or King Edmund and those boundaries follow a wide variety of terrain, from hills, lanes, fields, brooks, creeks and a tidal river.


AREA

The Parish has an area of 11 square kilometres (4.25 sq miles). In other measurements, that is 1100 hectares (about 2725 acres). More than 92% is land and nearly 8% is water.

The extent of The Parish is approximately 4.3 km (2.7 miles) north to south and  4.2 km (2.6 miles) east to west, the northern boundary running 4 km (2.4 miles) along the centre of the tidal River Crouch.

About 82% of the parish is rural agricultural land, 8% is housing and roads, 7.5% is river, creek and streams, and about 2.5% is made up of woods, some of which have bluebells.


B
ATTLE  OF  ASHINGDON

Ashingdon was the site of the Battle of Ashingdon and the base camp of King Edmund, the Saxon King of Wessex and part of England. Whereas, nearby Canewdon was the base camp of King Canute, the Danish king who laid claim to all of England and The Danelaw, the Eastern regions known as :  Essex, East Anglia, East Mercia and Northumbria. The claim was settled by the battle which took place at Ashingdon in 1016 AD, when Canute fought Edmund and won the battle and shortly after secured the Kingdom of all England including the Saxon Wessex and their territories :  Kent, Sussex, Wessex and West Mercia.

Although Ashingdon is still a small, quiet rural community, its historic and epic battle had a very significant impact on the history and culture of all England, lasting until today. That is because, if King Canute had not won and unified England, William the Conqueror would have siezed only Saxon Wessex - the Saxon south, southwest and west of England. The Danish east, northeast and north of England - The Danelaw, may still have been Danish until today and we would all be speaking Danish now in our region.

 

Ashingdon Village SignSouth Fambridge Sign

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



LOCATION

Ashingdon is a parish in Rochford District, in the County of Essex, in England. Our County is part of the East of England Region, also called East Anglia.


ESSEX  COUNTY

The County arms or shield, also seen on flags, is of 3 seaxe swords on a red background attributed as having been the ancient coat of arms of the early Saxons or the East Saxon kings - "three seaxes argent, in a field gules", (3 silver seaxes on a red field).