We hope the 'FAQ's' below will answer any queries you have which are not covered elsewhere on this website. If you have any further questions please get in touch - our contact details are on the 'Contact Us' page of this site.


How much does your service cost ?

Our service is completely free to you. All work is done on a voluntary basis and we are happy to supply this service. Postage is free, so there is no delivery or return charge.


Can the recordings be sent to me if I have a non visual disability ?

Yes, although we may have to ask you to pay the postage costs since the free postage concession may not be applicable.


Can I ask for a sample recording before receiving recordings on a regular basis ?

Yes. Get in contact with us and we will arrange delivery.


Do you supply any other services for the visually impaired ?

Our role is to supply the Talking Newspaper so we don't provide other services, but we have listed links to various other useful organisations on the Links page. We do however record  copy and despatch  'Spotlight' for Essex Blind Charity six times a year, for any listener who requests them. Details of the availability of such recordings are given in our newspaper recordings.


How are the recordings delivered ?

The recordings are contained in a wallet with a Velcro fastener for easy sealing. Each wallet has a pocket on the side which holds a slip-in reversible address label with the address of the recipient and our return address. After listening simply turn over the wallet label and re-insert it into the pocket and pop into a convenient post box for return to Talking Newspaper for re-use. No stamp is needed.


Are any recordings produced in different languages ?

Our recordings are only produced in English at present. Different language recordings are available from some other national and local organisations and further information may be found under our 'Links' heading, primarily through the Talking News Federation and National Talking Newspapers and Magazines.


Can the recordings be sent to me if I live outside the Chelmsford district ?

Yes. Please contact us with your details. Don't forget there may also be other Talking Newspaper groups within your area.


What happens if I am unable to return the recording one week ?

Every listener is allocated 3 wallets, so we will still send out the following week's newspaper. If you are unable to return recordings within 3 weeks please try and let us know.


Can I get involved as a volunteer ?

 Yes you can. The main areas of volunteering are as Readers, Recording Technicians, and with the Despatch Team. Visit the 'About Us' page on this website and this has a section entitled 'How To Volunteer'.

Recording Technician required - August 2017 - Contact us for details and further information


Can I make a donation to the Talking Newspaper ?

Yes. We are a registered charity and are always grateful for support and donations. For further information please get in contact with us.


What recording media is available?

You can receive your recording on an mp3 memory stick; cassette tape; listen on this web site; via Wireless for the Blind; via Chelmsford Community Radio on the web and 104.4FM radio on Sunday evening.