You can use your computer for lots of fun things – on and off the Internet.
One of the exciting things you can do on the Internet is to play games, on your own or with people all over the world.
Lots of people like to make new friends on the Internet.
They can go on sites where you can talk to people who like the same things.
Find out what is cool on your computer and also how to use it in a safe way.
The Internet is just like the real world – nice people use the Internet, but some nasty people do too.
It’s important that you are nice and kind when you use the computer to talk to people. Even if you can’t see someone, things you write might still upset them.
If anyone is nasty to you or makes you unhappy – you must tell a grown up so that they can help you and make the person stop.
We want to help you to know what to do if anyone is nasty to you and how you can be safer when you talk to people on-line, play games on-line or when you use your mobile. This will help you and your friends be safer on-line and make sure that you know what to do if you are ever scared or unhappy about something on-line.
- Always ask your mum, dad or whoever is looking after you if you can talk to people on the Internet. They can help you do it safely.
- When you use chat rooms or instant messengers you should use a nickname instead of your real name.
- Never tell anyone who you don’t know in the real world your address, your name or which school you go to.
- Ask your mum, dad or teacher to help you if you are just starting to chat to new people on the computer. They can make sure you fill out any forms properly and safely.
- Some people on the Internet may not be who they say they are. It’s not a good idea to meet anyone that you only know from talking to on the computer.