Local Elections 2019 - Make a difference to our Village
Standing as a Town and Parish Councillor
The Nomination Process
ALL candidates Candidates must be a British, Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizen and aged 18 or over.
The nomination period is between 9.30 am and 4.00 pm on each working day from Wednesday 27 March 2019 until the close of nominations at 4.00pm on Wednesday 3 April 2019. This deadline cannot be extended for any reason. The nomination period is also the period during which you can withdraw your nomination. Nomination forms must be hand delivered to Braintree District Council, Causeway House
Nomination Packs (download)
For full details on the Election process visit https://www.braintree.gov.uk/homepage/168/district_and_parish_elections_2019
Filling in your Nomination
The Nomination pack contains mandatory forms without which you cannot be nominated.
- The Nomination Paper
- Home address form
- Consent to Nomination
- Appointment of Agents and Counting Agents
- Authorisation to use Political Party Name
- Authorisation to use Political Party Logo
The Nomination Paper requires the following:
- Full name
- Proposer, seconder must be registered electors from the Town or Parish (ward where appropriate). They must sign the nomination and include their electoral number. This number can be found on individual Poll Card or on the Clerks copy of the Electoral register.
Note: Supporters can support as many candidates as there are vacancies.
The following are Optional
Description (maximum of 6 words). The description of a candidate is optional. If you wish to use a political party description you MUST provide the party’s authorisation.
Commonly used surname or forename Candidates may choose to use either, provided that it is different from their full name eg:
Stephen Peter Smith
- Stephen Smith - Not Allowed
- Peter Smith - Not Allowed
- Steve Smith - Allowed
- Pete Smith - Allowed
Home Address Form
Part 1: This part MUST be completed
Part 2: This part is OPTIONAL - completion of part 2 will stop publication of your address on Ballot paper and Public Notices
Consent to the Nomination Form
A candidate must also complete the Consent to Nomination form which is included in the nomination pack. Candidates must fulfil and indicate at least one of the following qualification criteria:
- Be on the electoral register for the district.
- During the twelve months before close of nomination have owned or occupied land or property in the parish.
- During the twelve months before close of nominations have their main place of work in the district.
- During the twelve months before close of nominations reside in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres (3 miles) of it.
Forms must also include:
- The consent form must be signed and dated by the candidate within 1 calendar month of close of the nominations.
- Candidates Date of Birth
- Witness signature (this can be any person including spouse, partner or relative known to the Candidate)
Whilst Legislation requires that All Nomination and Consent to Nomination forms must be hand delivered to the Returning Officer’s office, Causeway House, Bocking End, Braintree, CM7 9HB it does not specify who actually completes the delivery. Candidates are however advised that following legal opinion the following methods of delivery are Not permitted: Electronic delivery Royal Mail
Certain people are disqualified from standing, and these include paid officers of the council, bankrupts and those subject to recent sentences of imprisonment.