This site has been created to report on progress in the formation of
a Parish Council for South Weald, Brentwood, Essex
PROGRESSOn 10th July, 2006 a petition containing more than 270 signatures (just over the requiredfive per cent of the electorate), was handed over to Bob McLintock, Chief Executiveof Brentwood Borough Council.This petition has been reviewed by the full Council and has been forwarded to the Department for the Environment for its approval.It is believed that this could take up to a year and all who have an interest in a parish councilfor South Weald will find that during this period there will be little if any activity.The Steering Committee would again like to express its gratitude to all those peoplewho have given their time and energy to collect the names required for the petition andto all who have shown and expressed their support for the creation of aParish Council for South Weald.Watch this space!
St Peter's Church
St Peter's dates back to Norman times with its 16th Century clock tower containing a fine ring of eight bells in its bell chamber. The grade II listed church, set in the centre of the village, borders South Weald park and is open for services every day. Although dating back to the early 16th Century the church was extensively rebuilt in 1868 in keeping with the original plan.
Below is just one of the pretty lanes that are typical of South Weald and which are threatened, as indeed are thousands of such lanes throughut the UK, with the blight of too many vehicles seeking alternative routes from the highly congested main roads. Rat-running presents a problem for which there appears to be no solution. Some success has been achieved however, with the implementation of various traffic-calming methods.