St. Gabriel's Church was built in 1964 on land purchased by Rev. E. W. Grevatt in 1928. The site was originally part of the Shophouse Farm that, early in the 19th century was partially destroyed by fire.
Because of the large growth in population due to the development of Basildon in the 1950's, St Gabriel's was built as a replacement for St. Michael's Church, (The last service was held there in 1983). St. Michael's tower dates back to the 16th century and is the only part of the church remaining. This forms an imposing landmark on Pitsea Mount, and is still used as the venue for the parish's Easter sunrise service.
The Choir Vestry/Chapel contains St. Michael's Mothers Union and Sunday School Banners as well as a picture of St. Michael's in its prime and the Communion silver from St. Michael's is now used regularly at St. Gabriel's.
Also from St. Michael's is the light oak memorial Lectern, remembering the men of Pitsea who fell in the Great War, and can be seen in St. Gabriel's Sanctuary. On the supporting column is a carving of St. Michael depicted as a knight with his foot upon a serpent.
St. Gabriel's was designed by Donald Corder, ARIBA, and the theme of the building is based on the twelve Apostles and the three points of the Trinity. The result is a twelve sided building seating 200 hundred people, with the ancillary parts of the scheme contained in three small blocks (two vestries and a Lobby). Because Baptism is the initial introduction to the Christian Family, it was considered that the font should be central within the family of the church; hence it is situated in the centre of the building.
The font was paid for by the children of St. Michael's Sunday school with their collection over many years of "ship" halfpennies. To recognise this effort, the font carries a three-masted vessel engraved upon one of the bronze-finished fibreglass panels. The font has been sculptured out of Clipsham stone - a twelve-sided tapered block with a series of reliefs depicting Baptismal teaching points.
The bell in the church has been calling people to worship since 1868. Made by Mears and Stainbank at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, it was rescued from the Manor Mission Chapel at Laindon when the old building was demolished to make way for the Laindon Link. The original makers refurbished it and it now hangs over the west end of the church ready for many more years of service.