Stisted Parish Council
Click on the link to get up to date about the A120
The village sign is situated on the Village Green which can be found opposite the school upon entering the village from the direction of Braintree.
Mr Patrick Bones kindly erected this. The base is comprised of brick and stone. Mr Darren Woodley who lived in the village and attended the village school carved the top from a piece of teak. The sign was designed in consultation with the Parish Council by Ian Sillitoe who at one time was a member of the Braintree Youth Theatre and went on to work in the West End designing sets for London stage.
The carved top depicts China Bridge as it was originally; China Bridge crosses the river below the church. The corn represents the village links with the farming community. The name Stisted is derived from the Saxon words meaning 'a bed of nettles', hence the nettles. The water wheel is the oldest recorded article in the village, first mentioned in 1373 when Mr Robert Seioalle of Coggeshall purchased a water mill. The late Mr William McMillan first introduced the Friesian cow to this area and this sign has been donated to the village by his family as a memorial to him for his many years of service to the local community and particular to the village. Mr McMillan was a founder trustee of the village hall and a Parish Councillor for 46 years, 16 of which in the role of Chairman. He also represented the Parish on the district Council and was a trustee of the Montefiore Institute. The whole sign is supported on an oak post cut from a tree grown on Gowers Farm and blown down during the storm in October 1987.
NEW: See Guide to Stisted for a link to a list of walks around the village