Thorrington is a small village to the north of Brightlingsea, between Colchester and Clacton. It is based round the crossroads of the B1027 and B1029. With slightly in excess of 500 households it boasts a pub and a village shop with post office. There is a small industrial estate at the crossroads. Thorrington was mentioned in the Domesday Book and the Parish Church dates from the 14th Century. Thorrington is also the site of one of the last working tide mills in the country (see the logo above).
Some interesting information about the history of our village.
From Wikipedia we learn that Thorrington is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Torinduna. From hand written sources held by the Church we know that over the centuries Thorrington had many variations on the original name and by 1594 it was known as Thurrington.
Tenpenny Brook forms the boundary between Thorrington and Alresford and Thorrington Tide Mill stands where the brook flows into the Alresford Creek. The Mill was built in 1831 and is now a Grade II* listed building. It is open to the public on a number of Sundays between April and September . Another tide mill, no longer surviving, was situated where the Saltwater Brook flows into Flag Creek.
The medieval Church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene and the Patrons of the Church are St Johns College, Cambridge, who also own much of the land in the village.
The railway station was opened in 1867 but closed in 1957, the nearest station now is Great Bentley.
On the 7th November 1929 Thorrington Parish Council officially purchased an area of land from the Reverend Charles Frederick Hutton, Rector of the Parish, for the sum of Thirty Eight pounds and Ten shillings. This land lies to the South of Clacton Road and is accessed between March House and Bramble Cottage and is now used for the provision of allotments for the village.
On 12th July 1960 Thorrington Parish Council sold a portion of this land to the Eastern Gas Board for the sum of twenty four pounds and five shillings, for the purpose of laying and maintaining gas mains. The Gas Board covenanted with the Council to do as little damage as possible to the surface of the land and the crops growing thereon and agreed to pay compensation for any damage done.
At a meeting of the Parish Council on 8th August 1930 Frank Disney Girling, a farmer of the Hall Thorrington, officially gifted a parcel of land to Thorrington Parish Council for the purposes of the Recreation Grounds Act 1859. The area measured two acres, two rods and twelve perches and was part of Pound Farm. This is the area we now know as the Playing Field situated along the side of Chapel Lane.
For other sources of information regarding the history of Thorrington and the surrounding area please use the following links:
Tendring District Historic Environment Characterisation Project 2008 (See Section 3.1.17 HECA 17 - page 82)
Historical parish records, including minutes of the Parish Council meetings before 2006 can be accessed at the Essex Record Office
Parish Council mintues from 2006 can be found on this website