All footpaths are public rights of way and as such are the responsibility of Essex County Council Highways Department.

If you notice a problem with a footpath you can report it on the ECC Highways website from their Tell us about something section. The form also has a map on which you can pinpoint where the problem is, and you will be given a tracking number so you can check the progress of the report if required. This is also where you can report potholes and other issues to do with roads, pavements. etc. If you prefer to report a problem by phone, please call 0345 603 7631. 

Highways have also produced useful how to videos to demonstrate reporting or checking a highways issue and also a future and current roadworks interactive map so you can keep abreast of any work likely to effect your journey.

Public rights of way map

Copies of the Panfield Footpaths map can be obtained at a cost of £1 from the Parish Council Clerk via email  All proceeds will be donated to Panfield Community Association. Alternatively you can download a copy here.

Footpaths Officer

Danny Canning is our Footpaths Officer.  If you notice anything which needs attention on one of our footpaths, please contact him on  or phone 07856 516610, or contact the Parish Clerk via email at  

You can also report any issues or problems with footpaths or public rights of way via the Tell us about something section of the ECC Highways website.

Fly tipping and street cleaning

Instances of fly tipping, issues about litter, dog bins, dead animals and other street cleansing matters, are the responsibility of the district councils. For Panfield, this is Braintree District Council. To report an issue please visit their Do it online web page or phone 01376 552525.